80-85% recycled newspaper with fire and pest retardants added.
- Probably the greenest material because it is mostly recycled.
- It also takes very little energy to produce it. Inexpensive.
- Does not lose R-value as the temperature drops.
- Provides a decent air seal when dense packed. (Dense packing is like putting 3 pounds of stuff in a 2 pound box.
- It is harmful to bugs and may reduce mice and other critters from coming into the attic
- Moisture Causes Cellulose Insulation to Loose Insulation R-value.
- Health Issue Concerns with Cellulose Insulation.
- Uneven Distribution of Cellulose Insulation Means Lower R-value.
- Thermal Bridging Results in Lower R-value.
- Shorting by Contractor Means You Don’t Get What You Paid For.
- Does not prevent radiant heat transfer – the primary source of heat-flow in and out of buildings.